SafeLink Wireless offers a free cell phone to those eligible. Eligibility standards are listed on the SafeLink Web site at https://www.safelinkwireless.com/. Standards are based on income, presence of a disability, etc. Depending on the state, free air time is also available. For example, in Maine SafeLink reports that 68 minutes of airtime is available monthly at no charge.
The following is a handout distributed by Sue Pettegrow in Houlton Maine about the service:
SafeLink Wireless Lifeline Service now available in Maine
Benefits in Maine
Through SafeLink Wireless’ Lifeline Service you can receive:
- A FREE SafeLink Wireless phone
- A FREE cellular plan that gives you 68 Minutes every month
Qualifying in Maine
You qualify for Lifeline Service in your area if…
- You already participate in one of the following assistance programs:
- Emergency Assistance Program
- Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
- Medicaid (known as MaineCare)
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Assistance through another phone carrier. If someone in your household is receiving Lifeline Assistance you must cancel the service before applying for Lifeline Service through SafeLink Wireless.
You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your FREE phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.
Applying in Maine
Applying for SafeLink Wireless Service in your area is quick and easy, and by using this site you can be approved in less than ten minutes. To apply, just follow these steps:
- Fill out the application on this website. (www.safelinkwireless.com)
- Download the completed application for your records.
- Write down the Enrollment ID that we provide when you fill out your application! With your ID you will be able to check on the status of your application by calling us at 1-800-Safelink.
I would be happy to assist you with filling out an application online. Please call Sue Pettegrow at 532-5304 to set up an appointment or stop by at 91 Military Street, Houlton, Maine.
Promotional Code: CME0010000