Apple iOS is the operating system in the Apple devices including Apple’s iPod, iPad, and iPhone. Apple provides accessibility out-of-the-box with features such as Zoom and VoiceOver, located in the Settings App or Menu, under Accessibility. To get started using these features, check out the following resources:
- iOS Access For All by Shelly Brisbin, This is an e-book, so you will have to have some command of technology to read it. It is the most comprehensive book you will find on the accessibility features of Apple iOS.
- Hadley Technology Workshops including iPhone and iPad include the basics with patience and humor.
- A Complete List of iOS Gestures Available to VoiceOver Users from AppleVis.
- Getting Started With the iPhone and iOS 11 by Anna Dressner from National Braille Press and available in tactile braille as well as a variety of electronic formats.
- iOS 12 Without the Eye by Jonathan Mosen from Mosen Consulting is a quicker read than some of the others and will get you up and running with your device quickly.
- Hadley iFocus Instructional Video Series produced by the Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired is an outstanding series for learning specific skills, primarily with Voiceover.
- iHabilitation Canada has created a book of training iOS templates called Feel’n See Screenshots. They also have a great series of instructional videos on iOS accessibility that are very thorough.
- AppleVis.com is a website devoted to Apple users with a vision impairment. It is a great site to look for app reviews, tutorials, podcasts and guides.
- Personal Power; The iOS Edition by Michael Feir is a very comprehensive guide on the iPhone and iPad, and free to download from his blog.
- No cost tech support is available for Apple users who use any accessibility features on their products by calling Apple Accessibility toll free at 877-204-3930. My calls to Apple Accessibility have been great experiences, with knowledgeable, patient tech support personnel.
- Resources from Mac for the Blind on VoiceOver
- Learn to Use VoiceOver on Your Mac: A Beginners Guide
- iFocus Mac Instructional Videos from Hadley at YouTube
- VoiceOver Commands for Web Page Testing, from Penn State Accessibility
- Mac and iOS VoiceOver Training at Tech Juggernaut
- Mac for the Blind training and audio courses on VoiceOver for Mac and iOS
- Mac Basics for the Beginning User by Janet Ingber, National Braille Press
- The Tech Juggernaut training and online courses