Vision Rehabilitation Therapist (VRT) Appreciation Week is observed the week of April 14 to commemorate Anne Sullivan’s birth date on April 14, 1866. We remember Anne Sullivan as one of the early pioneers of vision rehabilitation for her work with Helen Keller.
Coincidentally, VRT Appreciation Week follows National Library Week. VRTs frequently work with clients who are learning alternative methods of reading, including large print, reading with magnification, digital text, screen readers, and braille. In many cases, the vision rehabilitation therapist is the professional teaching consumers how to access and use the Talking Books Program from the National Library Service (NLS).
Resources for Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Appreciation Week:
Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Appreciation Week 3VRTWeek 2021
Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Appreciation Week #VRTWeek 2020
- Download a press release for Vision Rehabilitation Therapist Awareness Week 2022 (edit as you wish)
- Download a VRT Week Flyer 2022 (edit as you wish)
- Find a Vision Rehab Therapist using VisionAware’s Directory of Services
- Learn more about the profession of Vision Rehabilitation Therapists from AER Vision Rehabilitation Therapy Division
- The Association of Vision Rehabilitation Therapists Organization (AVRT)
- Become a Vision Professional! Career resources from AERBVI.org
- National Library Week from the American Library Association
- From Home Teacher to Vision Rehabilitation Therapist: A Legacy, by Lynda Jones. The profession of Vision Rehabilitation Therapist (VRT) is nearly 140 years old!
- Seminars@Hadley: The Vision Rehabilitation Therapist, Your Advocate for Independence
- Hadley Presents: A Guide to Vision Rehab
- A Definition of Vision Rehabilitation Therapy by Dr. Lynne Luxton. Great historical information about the profession.
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Initiative in Vision Rehabilitation
- Steve Kelley CVRT in Maine speaking about vision rehab services in Maine:
- Anne Sullivan’s Valedictorian speech at Perkins
- History of Vision Rehabilitation Therapists
- Who’s qualified to be a vision rehab professional? OIB-TAC